Flowers are for the living

I know, I know.....i fell off the wagon again. Its been months since I wrote something - why is it so much easier to make a resolution than to keep it?

Anyways, I think I have a valid excuse this time round. I lost someone very dear to my heart in June. Writing at such times is pretty much like slitting my wrists & letting my life-blood pour out...call me weird, but somehow i just never really learnt to enjoy doing that!

Time numbs the pain, while working away on the healing part. So here I am, comfortably numb, sharing my thoughts again

"live like you're dying" goes the song. 'Carpe Diem' - a Latin phrase that an amazing number of people actually know the meaning of - all inspiring bits of wisdom spurring us to Seize the Day & live for the moment.

It's only when I actually went through the process of living life on borrowed time, that i realized how true this obvious truth is!

By nature we are programmed to appreciate that which is not easily available. To prize that which is in short supply. So it is with people. When we know we dont have much time with someone,we raise the quality of life bar to unimaginable heights during that rationed out time.

Just how far this goes is actually quite funny - the other day my mum tried out a new recipe for a sweet I like. It didnt quite turn out as expected, so we kind of half heartedly nibbled at it, all the while cribbing about how it used to turn out so well before, blah, blah..

Then we had visitors and gave them the rest. They LOVED it - we tried some - WE loved it!! The damn thing tasted really good! And the worst thing was, as we saw the last few pieces disappearing, they just got better & better!

Sneak a peek at the work scenario? Same story. Poor sod devotes body, mind & soul to company for years. Nothing to show for it. All attempts at moving up and growing are firmly put down. Then, the day he/she decides to leave......voila! Into the magic hat they reach, and pull out exactly what he/she has been asking for all these years.But somehow, in the cold light of a decision thats been taken, the offer just doesnt look that great anymore. And just like that, a precious asset is lost.

This is a serious design flaw in human beings. WHY cant we appreciate what we have? Why does what is readily available lose its value? Why should something teeter at the edge of our fingertips for us to want to hold on to it?? Why cant we just show the people who matter to us just how much they matter, while they are still with us?

As my dad always said: Flowers are for the living.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday blues and all that jazz

Do good employees make a good organisation? Or is it the other way around?

Every day, in every way, I get wiser and wiser!